First few days of JEE Mains, Advanced Preparation
A student named ‘Rahul’ started IIT JEE preparation with a strong desire to get into his dream IIT. He set a goal of expected All India Rank (AIR) under 1000 & joined a small coaching in his home town. Coaching provided DPP of 20 quadratic equations on Day 1 which he finished it in 2 hrs. Then he started thinking, what books & study material should I follow for Maths, Physics & Chemistry for the rest of my preparation journey.
He discussed this point with coaching faculty. Sir said, please write coaching notes properly in class, finish our coaching modules & DPPs on time. Once done with it, revise theory again from coaching notes & modules, practise problems from DPPs & coaching modules again before mock exams. Once you are done with theory & problems from same source atleast twice, solve JEE Mains & JEE Advanced level questions from a different book or other coaching modules.
Let’s consider few scenarios here.
Scenario 1 : You go to a coaching that produces IITians every year
First complete coaching modules & DPPS twice & then move to different coaching modules or books. Now you just need to solve important questions from a different source.
Scenario 2 : Go to a boards level coaching but not JEE Mains or Advanced level coaching
First priority again here would be to finish coaching DPPs / questions on a daily basis. Then I would suggest you buy a DLP material of a reputed coaching (Allen, Resonance, Aakash, FIIT JEE etc). This DLP could be first hand or second hand. Second hand can be bought on olx (https://www.olx.in/item/allen-resonance-vibrant-study-materials-available-iid-1516535132)
Scenario 3 : Preparing through self study
Here again, we will suggest that if possible buy DLP material of a reputed JEE Mains, JEE Advanced level coaching either first hand or second hand. Once you finish it 2 times, solve important questions from different coaching material or books.
Now we will provide list of books for JEE in the order of priority for all 3 subjects (based on our opinion) :
- HC Verma
- Resnick Halliday
- Cengage Series
- DC Pandey
- I.E. Irodov
- SL Loney (Plane Trigonometry, Plane Co-ordinate Geometry)
- Cengage Series
- Arihant Series
- Hall & Knight (Alegbra)
- Course in Mathematics for IIT JEE by Tata McGrawhill
- I.A. Maron (Problems in Calculus of One Variable)
- A. Das Gupta (Differential Calculus)
- NCERT Textbooks
- Organic Chemistry – O.P. Tandon
- Physical Chemistry – N. Awasthi
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry – J.D. Lee
Please keep the following points in mind while selecting your best books & study material during JEE Mains & JEE Advanced preparation:
- Give first priority to a classroom or DLP material of a reputed coaching. Buy either first hand or second hand on Olx if you don’t have one right now
- HC Verma is must have book for Physics
- NCERT books are must for Organic & Inorganic chemistry
- If you have more time, buy Cengage series for Maths & N. Awasthi for physical chemistry
- Rest is upto your discretion but ‘DON’T PILE UP TOO MANY BOOKS’